The Newtown Square Freight station was constructed in 1895, shortly after the Pennsylvania Railroad branch line was built. It was located on the west side of Newtown Street Road (Rt. 252) and what is now Winding Way (near where the new WAWA now stands). This was also the site of the lumber and coal yard, plus a feed and grain store. A corral was located in back of the freight station to hold livestock for shipments to and from the farms in the area. Farmers would bring their horses to E.W. Powell, the veterinarian, and after being tended by him they would be shipped out by stock car. A passenger station was next to the freight station. It housed the post office and telegraph station for many years. The freight station was the end of the branch line, the last stop from Philadelphia.
Between 1895 and 1908, as many as thirteen trains a day pulled in and out of the Newtown Square station; the milk train, the mail train, and various freight and passenger trains. The passenger train made the trip out to Newtown Square in the morning and returned to Philadelphia in the afternoon.
The railroad ran passenger service from 1895 to 1908, but its freight service continued to operate until 1963, in the later years primarily servicing the lumberyard. There were ten stops along the line. Eight of them were flag stops, along with the Llanerch and Newtown Square stations.
Although one can occasionally see where the train used to run and a few small relics remain, the Newtown Square Freight Station is really the last vestige of the Newtown Square branch of the Pennsylvania Railroad freight and passenger line that once rumbled 9.2 miles through the farms and countryside to Philadelphia.
Several years ago, the abandoned station which sat at Newtown Street Road (Route 252) and what is now the Winding Way bypass was saved from destruction and relocated here to Drexel Lodge Park, where it was restored and a train museum built up around it, which now includes a 1902 passenger car, a 1950 caboose, a 1907 box car and small steam engine.