Skip to content

OUR CARS

trolley car

The Trolley Car

Click here to read about the history of the trolley that ran through Newtown Square and the trolley car that the museum has and is presently restoring.

The Passenger Car

It was built in 1902 in the West Philadelphia shops of the Pennsylvania Railroad. There were 600 built that year and this is their last remaining one. After service with the PRR it was sold to The Canadian National Railroad. The Henry Ford Museum in Detroit gave it to our museum, and we are working on its restoration.

IMG_4759
IMG_4746

The Steam Engine

It is a 1920 yard locomotive built by the American Locomotive works. It worked in Syracuse, New York until 1950, then for a short time elsewhere before it was retired and just rusted away. The Museum obtained it in 2002 and has restored it to look like an engine of the 1890’s. It is a great example of an old steam engine, although this particular one never actually ran on the Pennsylvania Railroad.

The Box Car

This car we believe was built in 1907. It is wooden and typical of the kind that was used on our freight line to Newtown Square. This car was given to us by the National Park Service’s Railroad Museum called “Steamtown” located in Scranton, PA.

box car
DSCF7160

The Caboose

The Pennsylvania Railroad built this car in 1950. We obtained it from a local group in New Brunswick, New Jersey and have been restoring it. Today cabooses are no longer used on freight trains due to advancing modern technology.