The Pennsylvania Railroad built this caboose in 1950
Numbered 478131, it was one of 199 of the PRR’s N-8 cabooses – the last new caboose design built by the PRR. It was in use while the Newtown Square line was in operation. Pictures on this page include the original watercolor by local artist Nick Santoleri (copies available at his website) and two of PRR # 478131’s “sister cabooses” from years gone by – including one in Newtown Square (photo by Don Kehl from 1952, from the Roy Healy Collection).
Today cabooses are no longer used on freight trains due to advancing modern technology. Our caboose eventually became part of the Penn Central fleet until it was decommissioned and sold. The Newtown Square Railroad Museum obtained it from a local group in New Brunswick, New Jersey and, and we are working on its restoration.
Do not copy or repost photographs without permission.